Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Does anyone else do this?

Whenever I acquire something, I give it a name. Sometimes it's simple or uninventive- I named my fan after its brand, my DS is named Midas- and sometimes it's ornate, like an old bike named Fenris or Wintermute, my external drive.

I got thinking about this because Fenris went back to Esty, the girl I borrowed it from, and she mentioned how whenever she rode it she felt like something was with her. As though in naming it, I changed it intrinsically, so that it was more than just a bike. It was a bike with a machine spirit.

And now that I think about it, all my things have a bit of personality, little quirks. I wouldn't say they're spiritual; I'm not animist, I'm way into hard science. What I will grant is that in attributing them names, subconsciously I have decided that they are extraordinary and therefore treat them differently. I suppose on some level this is what one does with all one's possessions.

Still, it's odd. Do any of you do this?

10 comments:

  1. Not really, but if it works for you, go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I name my stuff too. Every desktop PC I've ever built has been some variant of "Tasha". Servers are named after Bubblegum Crisis characters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "There are three types of second-density entities which become, shall we say, enspirited. The first is the animal. This is the most predominant. The second is the vegetable, most especially that which you call, sound vibration complex, “tree.” These entities are capable of giving and receiving enough love to become individualized. The third is mineral. Occasionally a certain location/place, as you may call it, becomes energized to individuality through the love it receives and gives in relationship to a third-density entity which is in relationship to it. This is the least common transition."

    - Ra

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha you're a little weird, but cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't but im sure i have other habits that i don;t find weird lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol no not really, but cool story

    ReplyDelete
  7. no.. like what the crap xD.. I am a little OCD about item placement though, not like they have to be in a certain place, but i like to knock things back and forth till I believe they are where they should be, doors, door handles.. etc.. sometimes atleast :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh and I only ever really do this at home, and home alone, it used to be quite bad OCD a few years ago but I don't do it for the most part now, just once or twice a week or so =D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have named certain objects when they start presenting quirks or traits. My old roommate names everything he has though. Syphilis, Cooties, Fatty, and Zeus. Could be anything and everything. =)

    ReplyDelete